Sunday, April 7, 2013

Light of the Pole

During my disappearance from this blog I saw a film called The Secret of Kells and absolutely loved it. The story, the art, the music, all so beautiful. After seeing it I had an idea for a film that was sort of a mix of The Secret of Kells, Maus and something Tim Burton-esque.

I'll admit that I do not have a definite story for Light of the Pole other than it is all symbolically the Holocaust. I had the idea to have it based off of one of my relatives that was in the Holocaust. I found out that there are video interviews of my great great aunt and two of my great great uncles about their experience. Unfortunately they cost money, which I don't have, so the story development will have to wait a little bit. Meanwhile I worked on the visual development.




These first couple were drawings done almost right after getting the idea. I, right at the start, thought the Nazi's/Antagonists should be dark eagles, much like the one on Nazi Germany's flag, with long sharp claws that literally rip the souls out of creatures. The idea of the Poles/Jews/Protagonists being these simple, childish kind of characters seemed like a good idea at the time, but lately I've been in a bit of a pickle for their appearance.


Some development for a picture for a Visual Storytelling class I'm taking online being taught by Daniel Gonzales.



Most of the development was on the dark eagles, because I knew right away what I wanted their general look to be like. Dark and sharp. As I said before, the eagle on one of the Nazi Germany flags was a huge inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment