Monday, August 10, 2015

District 9 Wikus Costume Part 7

Stockton Con has come and gone, and with it the (mostly) finishing of my District 9 Wikus costume. Here are some of the things I did in the last couple days before the Con.

I painted all the alien skin bits I made with InstaMorph with ink, and added a couple more pieces.


I then hot-glued them to pieces of fabric from another shirt. I may or may not have burned myself with the glue a couple times...


I once again used the hot glue gun to attach the pieces to the inside of the shirt where I cut holes into it. It ended up looking pretty cool, but there was still one more thing to do before the shirt was finished.


Blood. Lots and lots of blood. I ended up using a recipe I found online that consists of corn syrup, flour, water, red food coloring and chocolate syrup. The result looked great! These pictures were taken after it had already dried. It still looked wet, which was exactly what I was going for!


As for the gun, I applied a layer of white paint, to serve as the base color.


I then used matte black acrylic paint for some of the extra pieces, like the canisters, magazine and jam guard.


After painting the canisters black, I applied some metallic silver paint in a gradient to give them a really nice metal look. 


Then the troubles happened. I applied the orange sections to the gun, but the details in the gun meant the tape wasn't completely held to the gun, and some of the paint dripped past the points I had taped off, and because I was in a rush (it was getting late on the night before Stockton Con) I was sloppy with the black detailing. I didn't have time to do much of the wiring, and what I did do ended up not working. I might work on the wiring again later.


 Despite all the issues with the gun, the costume really came together in the end! I didn't take many pictures, but here's what I have. I'll probably take more later.


Gun doesn't look THAT bad... From a bit of distance away.


My girlfriend and I got to meet William Salyers, the voice of Rigby in Regular Show, and he complimented my costume and said he loved the gun! Yay! Here are a few pictures of me with some other cool cosplayers there at the convention (plus a better look at my costume as a whole).






The project had its ups and downs, and there's still a bit of work to do on the gun, but it all turned out pretty well. This was definitely my most complex (and most expensive) costume, and I'm honestly already considering what to do next year (Handsome Jack and Corvo are my top picks at the moment).

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

District 9 Wikus Costume Part 6

T-Minus 3 days to Stockton Con

I was hoping I'd be getting some work done this past weekend, but I came down with a fever and wasn't able to do much, hence this might be a short update.

Been having issues with the Arduino and can't seem to get it to work, so the chances of the gun having sound have decreased. I'm doing what I can with the soundboard, but I need to go out and get a special plug for it. In the meantime, I got the lights working.


To get started, I got the basic switch and button system working. The red lights will be on while the gun is on, while the blue lights will go off when the trigger is pressed.

video

I decided to place a yellow light in the barrel too, so that it lights up when the trigger is pulled as well, but I wasn't sure how bright it'd be, so I did a test. You can also see that the gun has been given a coat of primer.

video

Thought I'd add a couple red lights to see how much brighter it'd be.

video

I think I'll play around with the number of lights in the barrel and how far inside they are. Meanwhile, I thought I'd see what the blue light behind the grill-like piece looks.

video

Really like how this is looking so far, but I wish I could get the sound working. Have started progress on the hand, this time being cleaner with the tape. Ready for a coat of latex then a coat of black paint.


Not much time left, and I still need to paint the gun, paint the glove, paint the skin pieces and put them into the sleeve, and dirty/bloody up the shirt. Lot of work ahead of me.